18 and older
Data visualizations are a critical business tool. This workshop serves as an introduction to the visual techniques that are often employed when describing, analyzing, and communicating data in a business setting. We’ll start by explaining the role of data visualization to improve business insights and decision-making, and then dive into basic visual methodology.
We'll cover the various types of visualizations that can be used to most effectively tell your business story. Students will practice using the data visualization methodology by walking through a case study with the instructor and then practicing the steps on their own using Tableau. Come and learn the basics to get the skills you need to present at that next staff meeting, marketing presentation, or business pitch!Takeaways
Prereqs & Preparation
- Describe the business value in visualizing data
- Identify different types of data visualizations and how to use them effectively
- Explain the key steps in preparing and building a data visualization
- Practice using data visualization methodology with a real data set to uncover business insights
- Discuss Tableau’s applications in data analysis and the types of problems it can solve
This workshop is designed for anyone interested in learning the basics of data visualization using Tableau. We recommend reviewing these blog posts before class: Interview with data visualization legend, Stephen Few and Stellar dashboards by Tableau Zen Master, Adam McCann.
What to bring to class: All students must bring their own laptop. Please also install Tableau Public prior to class.
For students enrolling in 12 week part time and immersive classes, it is not recommended that you book more than one class simultaneously.