Explore small creatures with a BIG environmental impact! As part of our EDMO PRO program in the park, campers will go on local field expeditions and search for bugs, collect specimens and post photographs to iNaturalist—a citizen science project and online social network for nature research. Working with scientists and students from around the world, campers will identify arthropod species and document habitat conditions that influence our planet’s health.21st Century & SEL Skill Focus:
Sample Projects:Engineer an Arthropod
- Emotion Management
Become a Citizen Scientist
- Campers will create a brand new bug! Campers will consider what the bug looks like and how it survives in the wild!
- Campers will learn about different bug species and the essential characteristics that define what arthropods are. Campers will also learn how shared characteristics can help determine which bugs are related and which are not.
Tools of the Trade
- Campers will be actively contributing to scientific research about the area that they live in. Campers will be identifying arthropod species and identifying the health of the environments where they found those species.
- Campers will learn how to identify arthropod species and how to use the iNaturalist app. Campers will also learn how arthropods affect the environments they are found in and how they contribute to the overall health of our world’s ecosystems.
- Campers will be collecting bug specimens from their environment using different tools that real scientists use for collection. Campers will be introduced to the different ways scientists collect specimens for analysis.
- Campers will learn how to collect and analyze specimen’s they find in the field. They’ll learn the proper way to collect these bugs and take them from their habitats. They will also be taught how to use the collection tools in the proper way and how to document their collections.
Sample Schedule:9:00-9:30AM - Opening Huddle
Your morning Huddle will get your gears spinning and your thoughts pumping. Get to know your fellow campers and jump start the day with games, high fives and jokes.9:30-10:30AM - Lab 1
During this enrichment lab time, campers really get into the weekly theme and curriculum. Campers delve into the weekly subject, learn new skills and design and create weekly projects.10:30-10:45AM - Snack
Active minds lead to hungry bellies! Don’t forget to pack a healthy snack for your camper every morning…with no nuts of course! Remember: If you ordered a delicious lunch you automatically receive a healthy morning snack!10:45-11:15AM - Real Time
Each day EDMO PRO campers will have 20-30 minutes of team and leadership building.11:15AM-12:15PM - Lab 2
During this enrichment lab time, campers really get into the weekly theme and curriculum. Campers delve into the weekly subject, learn new skills and design and create weekly projects.12:15-12:45PM - Lunch
Add a delicious lunch each day. It’s a snap! Just click/check the lunch box on your enrollment form and a quality lunch will be delivered to camp daily. Rather pack your own lunch? Please just do not bring any products that contain: cashews, almonds, brazil nuts, pine nuts, walnuts or heaven forbid, the “‘Mother of All Nut Allergies”—the peanut.12:45-1:20PM - Hang Time
Each day EDMO PRO campers will have 20-30 minutes of free choice time. EDMO PRO campers can spend time outside playing games and will also be able to spend time in the “Hang Time” room with access to music, games, computers, and maker supplies. 1:20-2:40PM - Lab 3
During this enrichment lab time, campers really get into the weekly theme and curriculum. Campers delve into the weekly subject, learn new skills and design and create weekly projects.2:40-3:00PM - Closing Huddle
Closing Huddle is your daily wrap up! This is the part of the day when you can really let your campy side out with songs, skits and improv! Make sure you save all of your projects before you’re rolling on the floor laughing! #roll