18 and older
Learn the beautiful art of natural bundle dyeing! In this three-hour workshop led by instructor Molly George, you'll gain an understanding of how to work with natural dyes as you explore the process of bundle dyeing.
This workshop will cover:
- Introduction to natural dye plants and mordants
- Introduction to protein-based and cellulose-based fibers
- Overview of natural dyestuffs including onion skins, cochineal, turmeric, avocado skins, fresh and dried flowers, black tea, eucalyptus, and more
- How to bundle dye on silk and cotton, including how to prepare the fabric, place the dyestuffs, bundle the fabric, and steam the fabric on a stovetop.
- Each student will leave with two dyed pieces (a cotton dish towel and a silk scarf), and the know-how to design and create more pieces on your own.
Class fee includes instruction and all the necessary supplies and materials (including dyestuffs and fabrics).
No prior experience necessary - beginners welcome!